“My Slate doesn’t work!”
“I can’t connect it to my computer”
“I have missing strokes in my drawing”
“My lines don’t match the paper version”…
Here are a few examples of remarks we get on our client support and they may be problems you are also having! No worries, your Slate is not defective. You simply need to use it in the right conditions and to know these few use tips.
80% of the problems encountered by our users can be solved by one or several of the following steps:
- Turn on your Slate in the right conditions (away from metal)
- Connect the Slate properly to your device
- Avoid missing strokes or lags
- Place and calibrate the Ring
⇣ ⇣ ⇣
1. Turning on my Slate in the right conditions
Remove all metallic objects when turning it on
- When turning it on, make sure all metallic objects are at least 20 cm away.
- Make sure the iskn pen or ring are not close to the Slate when you switch it on. You will be able to use your drawing tools once the Slate is turned on.
- Make sure you do not use the Slate on a metal surface (metal table or tablet with metal pieces, including legs) or close to magnetic objects (phones, speakers, etc.)
2. Connecting the Slate to my device
Connecting the Slate to my computer (Mac or PC)
The Slate can only be connected via USB to your computer. The Bluetooth connection will be added in a future update.
- Open the Imagink app.
- Connect the Slate to your computer with the USB cable.
- Turn on your Slate by pressing and holding the Power button (next to the USB port). A white LED will shine: when it becomes still, your Slate is ready to work with your computer.
- A notification will appear on your screen to indicate that your Slate is connected to your computer.
Specific case for Windows 10: you may experience display issues with Imagink. It can be easily be fixed by upgrading your graphic card drivers.
- The trouble you get with Imagink could be fixed by upgrading your graphic card drivers. On Windows, you have to go to the “Device Manager” menu to know what’s you graphic card :
- On windows 7 : open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager.
- On Windows 8 and 10 : just type Device Manager in the search bar
- According to this details, go to the website of your graphic card manufacturer to update your drivers by installing the updater tool :
- Nvidia : http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en
- Intel : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
- AMD : http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
- Launch the tool to update your graphics drivers. Then you can try to open Imagink and it should be ok. You can also verify on windows that Imagink is launched thanks to the good graphic card by right clicking on the shortcut icon of the app : choose “run with accelerated graphics”.
Connecting the Slate to my iPad or iPhone
- Turn on the Bluetooth of your iPad.
- Launch the Imagink App.
- Turn on the Slate2 by pressing and holding on the Power button (side LED shines white).
- Switch to the Bluetooth mode by pressing briefly on the Power button (side LED shines blue).
- Go to the Imagink Menu > Slate > Search for a new Slate > Connect your Slate.
3. Avoid missing strokes
Make a refresh
If you notice a problem while you are using the Slate, you can refresh it. If you’re experiencing some missing marks or offset strokes on your draws, this manipulation should solve your trouble. Refreshing the Slate does not delete or alter your work in any way.
To refresh the Slate, press and hold at the same time the two front buttons. The front LED will blink red to signal a successful refresh.
Make sure to keep the Pen, and the Ring if you are using it, at least 10 inches | 25 centimeters away from the Slate when refreshing it. You can start drawing again immediately after refreshing.
Note : if you are using the iskn Ring, you need to calibrate it (see below).
Check the detection of your Slate
- When you are above the Slate with your pen and it is detected, the LED turns white.
- When you touch the paper, the LED turns pink.
- If it doesn’t behave like this, refresh your Slate (see above).
3. Using the Ring properly
Placing the Ring
- Slide the ring onto your drawing tool at approximately 4cm.
- Adjust the magnet to make sure it is perpendicular to your tool.
Calibrate the Ring
- Press and hold the right button facing you, a purple LED will shine.
- Place the tip of your pen on the center of the Slate, then release the button when it touches the paper.
- Renew this operation every time you change tools.
Finally, if you press and hold the right button without using your pen, the calibration will reset – to work with an iskn pen. The calibration operation is to be renewed every time you switch tools : rings and pens.